Photographs are... memories... stories... feelings... all in a captured image

Saturday 7 April 2012

Exegesis

My blog is titled “Worth A Thousand Words” because I believe that photographs, each and every one have meaning worth more than a thousand words. Photography is a passion of mine and I’m always snapping photos with my DSLR or even my phone camera.

I chose the template Picture window for my blog because it is a clean and simple template. I will be posting lots of pictures on my blog, therefore, I do not want the readers of my blog to be distracted by too many things on the home page so they can focus on the pictures that I will be posting.

It wasn’t hard to select the contributing nodes for my blog. As my blog is a  Photoblog, I have selected Flickr, Tumblr and Facebook as my contributing nodes. This is because with Flickr, I can share my photographs with others and link it to my blog so when someone views my photographs in Flickr they can also view my blog if they wish to. Flickr is a site that supports photo, time and location metadata (Kennedy, 2007).

Besides that, I have selected Tumblr as my second contributing node because it is a good way of sharing my posts and even my photographs as Tumblr is a sharing site that keeps a signature of who started the post, therefore credit will always be given. This node is a good example of folksonomy. Folksonomy is user defined and tags are part of folksonomy as tags allow users to generate and classify content in their own way (Nick, 2005).

The last node that I picked to link to my blog is my own Facebook page as it is something that I frequently use and is linked to most of my family members and friends. Facebook is a social network, therefore it allows it’s users to construct a public or semi-public profile, create a list of online friends who they want to be connected with and to view and traverse their list and also lists made by others (Boyd & Ellison, 2007).

Thus, with this blog of mine and the three contributing nodes I have chosen, I hope that I will be able to complete my assignment accordingly. Also all this will make me understand the unit more as I will be in a way applying practically some of the readings and discussion done in class.

Reference:
Boyd, D. M., & Ellison, N. B. (2007). Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1), article 11. http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/boyd.ellison.html

Kennedy, L., Naaman, M., Ahern, S., Nair, R., & Rattenbury, T. (2007). How Flickr helps us make sense of the world: context and content in community-contributed media collections. Proceedings of the 15th international conference on Multimedia. Augsburg, Germany.

Nick, W. (2005). Tags & Folksonomies - What are they, and why should you care?. Retrieved from http://www.threadwatch.org/node/1206.

No comments:

Post a Comment